Friday, August 14, 2009

The "A" Word

ABORTION....Ohhhh, I bet that just gets under your skin doesn't it? Why is that? Well, to put it plainly, it's because you probably feel the same way I do. It's a stalemate. This is like playing Tic-Tac-Toe, you're never going to win. People tout about how there are two sides to this, Pro-Life and Pro-Choice. I happen to believe that there are really three positions, Pro-Life, Pro-Choice (as an individual), and Pro-CollectiveChoice (as a combined people). I stand in the last option on my opinions. Let me explain...

I, personally, believe that life begins at conception. However, I am also a true believer in liberty. This is a moral issue and there is no denying that. If you hear the viewpoints of those that oppose abortion and those that want choice, they both have OUTSTANDING arguments. That's why it's stalemate. No one will ever win that fight, because they both have excellent points to make to "prove" their side. So, how do we resolve it?

I was giving this some thought recently and it really started eating at my brain last night when I went to the GOP meeting in my district to hear Ray McBerry (the Georgia Governor Candidate) talk about State's Rights and Freedom. He is a Pro-Life Candidate and said that government should always default on life when there is ever a question. Although I do agree with this, it raises concerns for me. Should we really allow a politician decide morality?

If you recall in the Scott and Laci Peterson trial, Scott was charged and convicted in a court of law for double homocide since his wife was pregnant at the time. Yet, this very same court system would not feel that it was murder if Laci had taken upon herself to abort the child. Is this not a double standard??? The problem is, there has never been a precendence set for the rule of law.

Therefore, I propose that a referendum vote be put up to the American People and let us decide COLLECTIVELY one simple question: "Does life begin at conception or birth?" Whatever we decide as a whole should be an amendment to the Constitution explaining where life begins when we deal with the "right to life" issue. This will set a precedence for all law and not just abortion.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, let me play devil's advocate and point out one possible "unintended consequence". IF the vote should turn out for abortion, that would mean medicaid/government programs would be required to pay for abortions.

    Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, you make an interesting point there Em. I need to rethink this one maybe. I posted this on my Facebook page and one Pro-Life and one Pro-Choice chimed in and the argument ensued. It's amazing how passionate people get over this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I've ticked off a bunch of people on fb, some including my relatives!!!

    ReplyDelete